But what if you are a cyclist and want to take them on a ride?
Fortunately, there are also bike baskets that you can use to share the biking experience with your furry friend!
Below you will find the 6 best dog bike baskets in 2020.
1. PetSafe Happy Ride Bicycle Basket
PetSafe, a popular brand that has been around for nearly 30 years.
Not only does this bike basket look good and sporty, but also durable thanks to the high quality nylon used for construction.
It has a unique 3-way adjustment bracket system designed to be easy to put on and off your bicycle without pinching the brake cables. It also has an adjustable leash to keep your dog safe while riding.
Apart from that, PetSafe Happy Ride includes a removable sunshade to prevent your dog from getting too hot.
It comes with a detachable shoulder strap which allows you to convert it to a carrier if needed, along with 3 side pockets to store your essentials.
Suitable for dogs up to 13 pounds.
2. Anzome Bike Basket
This dog bike basket is made of a sturdy aluminium frame and wear-resistant oxford fabric to ensure it can stand up to daily wear and tear.
It features the quick-release handlebar mount that allows you to put it on your bike with ease. Equipped with 4 polyethylene stands on the bottom to prevent soiling while you leave it on the floor or on any surfaces.
In addition, Anzome is waterproof and has a sturdy handle. This means you can also use it for grocery shopping, not to mention it is very easy to clean. There are 2 pockets on the inside that you can keep things like keys and phone.
Ideal for dogs weighing up to 11 pounds.
3. Snoozer Pet Bicycle Basket
You have probably heard of the brand, Snoozer. The company was founded in 1985, manufactures and sells high quality pet products.
This bike basket features a removable inner pad and chin rest to ensure your dog can rest comfortably during the ride. It includes straps to attach it to your bike handles, along with an internal clip for your dog’s safety. It also has a rain cover for added protection.
Snoozer bicycle basket is made of durable microfiber which means it is very easy to clean. It also comes with multiple pockets to hold your dog’s water bottle and treats. When not in use, you can easily fold it flat for compact storage.
Perfect for dogs that weigh up to 15 pounds.
4. Snoozer Pet Rider Rear Bicycle Seat
Here is another great product from Snoozer.
Unlike any other bike baskets recommended, this needs to be installed on the rear rack.
It has a foam form plywood reinforced base designed for your dog’s comfort. Equipped with a 3-point safety strap to keep your dog secure, as well as an orange reflective strip so that other cyclists can see you.
Snoozer Pet Rider has a removable fleece cover that is also machine washable and dryer friendly.
The interior measures 15 by 12 inches and can accommodate dogs up to 24 pounds.
5. Petsfit Safety Dog Bike Basket
Petsfit has been in the industry for 10 years, known to provide a wide range of creative pet products.
As soon as you look at it, you notice this bike basket is built for optimal ventilation. The top mesh allows for good airflow to help your dog stay cool in summer and has a drawstring to ensure safety.
Constructed of oxford cloth with a reinforced frame for durability and stability. It also includes a safety leash clip to prevent your dog from jumping out of the basket.
Similar to PetSafe Happy Ride, it can be converted to a carrier effortlessly, not to mention the shoulder strap is padded so that it is comfortable for you to carry.
And with the built-in adjustable straps, you can easily install this basket in almost any bicycles. Also, there are pockets on the sides that allow you to store goods.
Petsfit is ideal for dogs up to 10 pounds.
6. Lixada Bike Basket
This is a well-built bike basket, made of strong aluminium alloy and durable oxford cloth. Featuring the quick-release handlebar mounting system to ensure it is easy to install, yet the 2 plastic straps to unfurl the interior space.
It has a maximum weight capacity of 22 pounds.
What we also like about the Lixada bike basket is that it includes a rainproof bell that gives you the ability to switch to 4 different types of sounds to catch pedestrians’ attention, and comes with a charging cable.
Also, the bike bell can run up to approximately 60 days after 1.2 hours charge depending on your usage.
Why Use a Dog Bike Basket?
Your furry friend wants to join you for a ride too! How can you say no to them knowing that there are dog bike baskets that will allow you to bring them along? Read on to find out why you should be using one.
- Your dog can’t keep up with you. Whether it is due to their age or their joint issues, it doesn’t mean that they have to stay home. A bike basket allows them to join you on your biking adventure and get the fresh air they need.
- Your dog is recovering from injury. What if your injured dog would still love to bike with you? This is when a dog bike carrier comes into play. They are already in pain and you shouldn’t let them walk on their own.
- To help protect your dog’s paws. There might be sharp items like broken glass or metal splinters on the road, which could potentially injure them. A dog bike basket helps to keep their paws off the road, hence safer for them.
Now, if you are considering buying one due to the above reasons, chances that you will need a dog stroller is as much as a bike basket.
Which Types of Dogs Best Suited in a Bike Basket?
Most bike carriers are only designed for dogs under 20 pounds. That said, you can still find some that can accommodate a slightly heavier dog like the Snoozer Pet Rider. It is suitable for dogs that are calm as they won’t try to jump out of it.
But it doesn’t mean that you can’t use it for anxious dogs, you will just have to train them to acclimatize them to it. And if you have a medium to large size breed, then you will have to look into a bike trailer instead.
How to Choose the Best Dog Bike Basket?
There are a few important things that you need to consider in order to pick a bike basket that best suits your dog.
1. Front-Mounted vs Rear-Mounted
There are 2 types of bike carriers on the market, front-mounted and rear-mounted.
- Front-Mounted. This is designed to be positioned at the front of your bicycle which is great as it allows you to keep an eye on your dog to ensure they are safe and comfortable.
- Rear-Mounted. You won’t have the best biking experience if you put too much weight on the handlebars. This is why there are carriers that need to be placed behind your seat. They are typically made for dogs heavier than 20 pounds and are more stable.
2. Safety Features
While you are having fun out there with your dog, you would, of course, want them to be safe too.
Luckily, most bike baskets have harness attachments to keep them secure and Lixada even comes with a bell.
This doesn’t just keep you both safe, but also other cyclists and people who love to look at their phones while walking.
You would want to make sure your dog is comfortable while sitting inside.
It may also be a great idea to consider the Snoozer front-mounted basket as it has a chin rest, a rain cover and a removable inner pad for easy cleaning.
Bike carriers with storage compartments will come in handy if you love longer rides. You will be able to bring along your dog essentials such as water, treats, and a leash.
You will also find some bike baskets can be converted to a handheld carrier which can be really helpful in some situations.
How to Train My Dog to Ride in the Bike Carrier?
First, you will have to introduce your dog to the bike basket. You can do this by leaving it on the floor and use their favorite treats to lure them in.
Once they are comfortable with it, you can then mount it on the bike and start pushing it slowly with your dog inside.
This is to get them used to the movement. As soon as you notice they are chill while being pushed inside the basket, that means you can now start pedaling!
Keep it slow and avoid uneven surfaces so that they can enjoy the ride.
Safety Tips for Using a Dog Bicycle Basket
- Ensure the basket is attached correctly. The last thing that you want to hope for is the carrier falling to the ground while riding.
- Make sure your dog is secure. It is always better to attach the leash to a harness instead of a collar. The reason is that it can prevent neck injuries if they manage to jump out of the basket while being tethered.
- Ride slower than you normally would. Keep in mind that you now have extra weight added on your bike. This means it is going to be harder to stop or turn. It can be really fun to bike with your furry friend, but safety always comes first!
- Keep your dog away from the bicycle’s moving parts. You should always check to make sure your dog’s tail, feet, and fur can’t reach the moving parts such as the wheels and pedals to avoid accidents.
- Bring extra food and water. If you plan to stay out a bit longer, you should bring extra food and water as your dog may get hungry and thirsty.
- Never leave your dog unattended. Your dog can get extremely stressful without you by their side especially in public. Just think about what could possibly happen when you are not around. There may be unwanted attention from strangers or curious kids screaming at them which you don’t wish for.