Biking with your dog can be really fun.
And you shouldn’t leave your dog behind even though you know that they can’t keep up with you.
First, it’s because they love being outdoors.
Second, we have found you the solution to take your furry friend with you on your next bike excursion.
Let’s take a look at the 7 best dog bike trailers you can get today.
Alternatively, you can also consider a dog bike basket if you have a small size dog.
1. Editor’s Choice - Aosom Elite II 2-in-1 Pet Dog Bike Trailer
Aosom was incorporated in 2011 and specializes in outdoor living, pet supplies, home decor and more.
This is a 2-in-1 dog stroller and bike trailer, constructed of oxford fabric and steel frame for durability. It is equipped with a weather shield to protect your dog from sun and rain, as well as a zippered front and back door for easy access.
Additionally, an internal leash and D-ring are included to make sure your dog is safe.
What we also like about Aosom Elite II is the full suspension system, 20 inches rear wheels and 360 degree swivel front wheel that provides a smoother ride.
Not to mention the built-in hand-lock brake system can keep the trailer in place and has an attached orange flag for visibility in traffic.
Suitable for dogs up to 44 pounds.
2. Best Value - Best Choice Products 2-in-1 Pet Stroller and Trailer
Best Choice Products pride themselves in keeping the entire process of designing and creating products in-house, hence great quality and affordable.
Just like its name implies, this is a 2-in-1 product that can be used as a dog stroller or a dog trailer.
Made of lightweight yet sturdy steel frame, and water-resistant polyester to help protect your dog from all elements, not to mention the pad inside is removable for easy cleaning. It has a bug screen to keep insects out and a removable cushion that allows your dog to enjoy the breeze.
In addition, Best Choice Products has an interior security leash, built-in hand-lock brake system, safety flags and reflectors to ensure safety. It also includes a universal hitch that you can attach to your bike.
This is one of the best dog trailers on the market that you may want to consider.
3. Most Comfortable - Burley Design Tail Wagon Bike Trailer
If you have never heard of Burley Design, the company was founded in 1978 and is known for its recreational transport gear.
As soon as you look at it, you notice its fashionable and stylish design. This is a higher end dog bike trailer that features the 6061-T6 aluminum frame and the heavy duty mesh on all 4 sides for durability.
With the side battens, it provides maximum stability during the ride and to prevent your dog’s weight shifting from one side to another.
Coupled with 16 inches quick-release wheels and a suspended floor to reduce the impact of speed bumps. For optimal comfort, it comes with a zippered 2-in-1 roll-up cover to keep the elements out and to ensure good airflow.
Apart from that, Burley Design Tail Wagon has a large rear tailgate for quick access, as well as an inner D-ring, parking brake and reflectors to keep your dog safe. There are also pockets to store your dog essentials, not to mention the floor is removable for easy cleaning.
It has a maximum weight capacity of 75 pounds and is a perfect option to tow your furry friend in style.
4. Best Overall Performance - Sepnine 2 in1 pet Dog Bike Trailer Bicycle Trailer
Sepnine is a professional trailer company, committed to providing you a great outdoor experience with your dog.
Similar to Best Choice Products, it can be easily switched from a dog trailer to a dog stroller without tools.
It features the dual entry doors, the front and the back with large mesh windows. This is to make sure it has good ventilation and for easy loading and unloading your dog. Coupled with 16 inches rear wheels and 12 inches front wheel for stability.
Sepnine has a lot of great safety features such as the anti-slip floorboard, reflectors and safety flag. It can also be folded flat when not in use for easy storage.
Ideal for dogs weighing up to 66 pounds.
5. Runner-Up Overall Performance - Aosom Bike Trailer Cargo Cart
This is another great product from Aosom.
This bike trailer uses a steel frame and oxford fabric for construction to ensure it can stand up to all elements.
Not only does it have a zippered door on the front and the back, but also on top which allows your dog to stick their head out to enjoy the view. It also has 2 large mesh windows on the sides for maximum ventilation.
With the 20 inches rear wheels, Aosom Cargo Cart is capable of providing smooth rides on pavement and off-road. This is great for those who love to adventure into the wilderness. And for your dog’s safety, it is equipped with a D-ring, reflectors, and safety flag.
This trailer is ideal for dogs weighing up to 66 pounds.
6. Best for All Weather - PetSafe Solvit HoundAbout Pet Bicycle Trailer
One of the most reliable brands, PetSafe was founded in 1991 and is known for its high quality pet training products.
This dog trailer is made of a strong steel frame and 600D polyester with waterproof floorboard. Featuring the front door with a waterproof layer, mesh screen on the sides and the rear door, plus a sunproof on top for your dog’s comfort.
It also offers 3 pockets on the outside that can hold water bottles and your dog essentials such as poop bags, leashes, treats and so on.
For safety purposes, PetSafe Solvit HoundAbout has a tether inside to secure your pooch and reflectors for better visibility.
It comes in two sizes, medium and large which can accommodate dogs that weigh up to 50 pounds and 110 pounds respectively.
7. Best for Budget - Schwinn Rascal Bike Pet Trailer
Schwinn was founded in 1895 by a mechanical engineer in Chicago. With more than 120 years of experience in manufacturing bicycles, you can rest assured with their quality.
This dog trailer is constructed of a unique, folding steel frame that allows you to pack up neatly for compact storage. Equipped with internal leash to prevent your dog from jumping out of the trailer, yet the 16 inches aluminium rims and air-filled tires ensure a smooth and steady ride.
Schwinn Rascal has a zipper door at the back to load or unload your dog. It comes with 2 side screen panels and a bug screen on top for better ventilation. Also, it can be easily attached to your bike’s rear wheel using the universal coupler.
Perfect for dogs up to 50 pounds.
Why Do You Need a Dog Bike Trailer?
The purpose of a dog bike trailer is somewhat similar to a dog stroller, a dog carrier backpack, and a dog sling carrier which is to take your pooch with you wherever you go. And below are the reasons why you should be using a dog bicycle trailer instead of letting them run alongside you.
- For older dogs or dogs with joint problems. There’s no way you can stop your dog from getting old and sick. Also, it is very common that dogs will have joint issues at a certain age which they are unlikely to be able to run along with you when that happens. A bike trailer gives your dog an opportunity to go outside and enjoy nature again.
- You have more stamina than your dog. If you love to take longer rides and know that you are going to outlast your dog’s stamina, then you should definitely get a bike trailer. Reason is that you can give your dog a lift for the rest of the ride when they get tired without having to slow down your pace.
- Your dog doesn’t like to exercise but would like to stick around. Some breeds are known to be lazier than many others and don’t like to exercise such as bulldogs and pugs, but would love to tag along. Trailer is a perfect option to take them outdoors and get some fresh air.
- To keep your dog safe. Accidents can happen if you let your dog run next to your bike. Not just the vehicles that you need to worry about, but also other hazards on the road like sharp rocks which they could potentially step on and lead to injury. It may be true that they can wear dog boots to prevent that from happening, but what if they get too hot and can’t regulate themselves?
- To help achieve your fitness goal. Lastly, it can help to improve your overall fitness. Just think about the additional weight from the trailer and your dog that you need to tow behind your bicycle. You will certainly require more energy to work against the resistance which is great when it comes to achieving your fitness goal.
Best Dog Bike Trailer Buyers’ Guide
Now that you understand how helpful a dog bike trailer can be. But before you purchase one, there are a few factors that you need to take into considerations as not all trailers are the same.
1. Size and Maximum Weight Limit
First and foremost, the size and maximum weight capacity the bike trailer can hold. Always pick the one that can accommodate your dog so that they can sit comfortably and can easily move around.
Next, you want to make sure that your dog is safe while riding inside. You will find most bike trailers come with an interior leash or a D-ring to prevent your dog from jumping out. It may also be a good idea to look for trailers with parking brakes such as Best Choice Products, Aosom Elite II, and Burley Design.
Reason is that you don’t want it to roll down the street while loading and unloading your dog on an inclined surface. Reflectors and safety flags are great add-ons as they will make it easier for other people to see you in a low light situation.
You would want a high quality hitch especially if you love to ride at high speed. This is to make sure that it doesn’t tilt your bike when you corner too hard, hence keeping both you and your dog safe.
The best dog bike trailer should have a flooring that will stay in its place during the ride to ensure your dog’s comfort. You will also notice some have removable flooring which is a plus as it makes it easy for cleaning.
At the end of the day, you want your dog to be happy. So, consider trailers with large tyres to ensure a smoother ride. You should also look for something that can handle uneven surfaces.
Air filled tyres are known to be able to stand up to rocky terrains and the suspension system is a great addition as it will increase stability, hence a comfortable ride.
6. Weather Protection
It may also be a good idea to consider bike trailers that can protect your dog from all elements like the PetSafe Solvit HoundAbout.
7. Entry Points
We would prefer trailers with 2 access points, the front and the back so that it is easier for you to load and unload your dog. Aosom Cargo Cart goes beyond that, it has 3 zippered doors which makes it even easier for you.
8. Convertible Designs
A bike trailer can take up a large amount of space. So, you should also consider trailers like the Schwinn Rascal that can be collapsed for easy storage.
How to Train Your Pooch to Ride in the Best Dog Bike Trailer?
Just like any other gear that you bought for your dog, they will be afraid when you first introduce them to the bike trailer. This is because they don’t know if it is going to hurt them.
That said, you will be surprised that some dogs just love it and will take you very little effort to get them used to it.
However, if you have a skittish dog, you will need to be patient when training them as you don’t want to scare them away.
First, put together your bike trailer and leave it in a room, then let your dog sniff around it. Or what you can also do is, as soon as you open the box, leave all the components on the floor and start letting them familiarize themselves with the trailer while you are assembling it.
It works either way. Once you have done the first step, make sure to leave the door open so that they can jump in when they are ready. You can start by putting their favorite treats inside and encourage them to go in.
Remember, don’t force them. As soon as they step inside, praise them again. You will have to repeat this a few times to desensitize them to the trailer.
When you notice they are willing to sit in there, secure them and zip up the door, then start pulling them with your hands. Keep it slow so that they know it is safe and there’s nothing they need to worry about.
Once they are comfortable being towed, that means you can now hit the road!
Just a little reminder, always start slow on your first few rides and avoid speed bumps and potholes to create a positive experience for them. favorite
Tips for Using a Dog Bicycle Trailer
- Ensure everything is secure before you start pedaling. Check to make sure if everything is fitted properly before you ride such as the hitch. And always remember to attach the leash to your dog’s harness for safety purposes.
- Slow down when you turn. You will also notice that it will be harder to ride due to the additional weight that you need to tow. And if you still corner like a pro, you are very likely to lose control and put both you and your dog in a very dangerous position.
- Stay on smooth surfaces. Though some bike trailers have large air filled tyres designed to handle rough terrains, you should still avoid that for your dog’s safety.
- Start braking sooner than you normally would. Keep in mind that you will be pulling extra weight behind you. What that means is that the momentum will keep you moving when you try to slow down. For this reason, you should stop earlier to avoid accidents.
- Bring extra dog food and water. If you plan to go for a longer ride, it may be a good idea to prepare more food and water just in case.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are Dog Bike Trailers Safe?
The answer is, yes. A well-built bike trailer will have a lot of great safety features such as the inner D-ring, reflectors, and parking brakes to safeguard your dog. Also, you should always read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions while putting together the trailer to make sure you assemble it correctly.
2. How Do I Connect the Trailer to My Bike?
One thing to note is that there are different types of rear axles on the market. Essentially, all you need to do is to insert your bike axle through the hitch. Then, simply line it up with the tow bar and attach the trailer. Make sure to secure it properly before you ride.