Walking your dog is a fun activity to do.
Not only can that help to create a strong bond with your dog, but also good for their health.
To do that, you certainly will need either a harness or a collar so that you can attach the leash to keep them safe.
And when it comes to dog leads, retractable leashes are undoubtedly a popular option among pet parents.
Below you will find the 6 best retractable dog leashes in 2020.
|Our Top Picks||Product||Weight||Length|
|Editor's Choice||TUG 360° Tangle-Free Heavy Duty Retractable Dog Leash||
(S) 35 lbs
(M) 55 lbs
(L) 110 lbs
(S) 16 ft
(M) 16 ft
(L) 16 ft
|Best Overall Performance||TaoTronics Retractable Dog Leash||(L) 110 lbs||(L) 16 ft|
|Runner-Up Overall Performance||Fida Retractable Dog Leash||
(XS) 18 lbs
(S) 26 lbs
(M) 44 lbs
(L) 110 lbs
(XS) 10 ft
(S) 16 ft
(M) 16 ft
(L) 16 ft
|Best Long Retractable Dog Leash||Flexi Giant Tape Leash||
(M) 55 lbs
(L) 110 lbs
(XL) More than 110 lbs
(M) 26 ft
(L) 26 ft
(XL) 26 ft
|Best for Early Morning or Night Time Walks||Flexi Neon Leash||
(S) 24 lbs
(M) 44 lbs
(L) 110 lbs
(S) 16 ft
(M) 16 ft
(L) 16 ft
|Best for Large Dogs||Triton Retractable Dog Leash||(L) 156 lbs||(L) 16 ft|
** Best Retractable Dog Leashes Comparison
Editor’s Choice - TUG 360° Tangle-Free Heavy Duty Retractable Dog Leash
Does your dog like to move sideways, and sometimes you can’t predict where they want to go next? Then, you may want to consider this retractable leash.
With the 360 degrees tangle-free retraction design, you don’t have to worry about your furry friend getting tangled in the leash when they move in an unexpected direction. It can extend up to 16 feet long, plus the quick lock and brake system that allows you to free, pause, lock, and unlock the leash, giving you full control over how far your dog can wander from you.
The TUG 360° Tangle-Free Leash is durable, made of high-quality internal parts to ensure it can withstand your dog’s pulling force, as well as to achieve consistent retraction. Also, it has an ergonomic anti-slip handle, making it great for daily walks with your dog.
Best Overall Performance - TaoTronics Retractable Dog Leash
The TaoTronics Leash is one of the top-rated retractable dog leashes on the market that offers you to walk your four-legged friend in an open area with just one hand.
It features the release and recoiling system, which gives you the ability to apply the brake and lock the lead at a certain length. It is weatherproof, meaning you can still walk your dog even in freezing weather without affecting its functionality.
This 16-foot long leash is made of a durable plastic casing with a non-slip handle that can fit your hand comfortably. Also, it includes a bone-shaped waste bag holder for your convenience.
Runner-Up Overall Performance - Fida Retractable Dog Leash
Another best retractable dog lead on the market that offers lots of great features is the Fida Leash.
With its 360 degrees tangle-free design, it can prevent the leash from twisting and tangling, hence keeping both you and your dog safe. It has a robust reflective lead and a durable rust-proof swivel hook for added security. Along with a top-quality internal coil spring to ensure consistent retractation.
Additionally, this retractable dog leash has an ergonomic non-slip handle that allows for a comfortable grip for longer walks, plus a button that can lock the lead at a certain length that you consider safe.
Long Retractable Dog Leash - Flexi Giant Tape Leash
Flexi is a well-known and reliable brand when it comes to dog lead products, so you can rest assured of its quality.
The Flexi Giant Leash is a very long, 26-foot leash, offering your canine plenty of freedom and space to run around while still keeping them secured. A great option if you have a wide-open space or your dog has a very high energy level.
You also notice where the leash comes out from, is near the handle instead of opposite your hand. The purpose is to allow for smoother operation and reduce the chances of tangling.
Not to mention, you can easily use the brake button with just one hand and has an ergonomic soft-grip handle for your comfort. Plus, the highly visible neon-colored belt to help keep your dog safe at all times.
5. Best for
Early Morning or Night Time Walks - Flexi Neon Leash
Not only the belt has high nighttime visibility, but also the casing. An excellent option if walking your dog early in the morning or at night is the only option, which is especially true if you have a 9 to 5 job.
This German-made 16-foot retractable leash offers your dog plenty of freedom of movement and has reflective neon-colored components to improve nighttime visibility for added safety. Plus, the short-stroke brake system, allowing you to stop the leash from extending further temporarily, and to lock it in place.
The Flexi Neon Leash comes in 3 different sizes, small, medium, and large, and can handle dogs up to 26, 44, and 110 pounds, respectively.
6. Best for
Large Dogs - Triton Retractable Dog Leash
Do you have a large dog and need something durable to keep them tethered? If so, you would probably want to consider the Triton Leash.
This 16-foot chew-resistant, heavy-duty nylon cord sure is strong enough to handle large and powerful dogs, combined with the premium quality 360 degrees swivel snap to prevent tangling. It also features the 1-touch locking system, which you can push the button to lock the lead in position effortlessly.
Additionally, the ergonomic rubberized handle is anti-slip, meaning you can have a firm grasp on your pooch even in wet conditions, and it comes with a collapsible water bowl for your convenience.
Why Use a Retractable Dog Leash?
- Give your dog more freedom. Dogs can get tired of having to follow commands 24/7, and sometimes they need a little bit of reward too. With a retractable leash, you are essentially giving them more room to wander around and explore, which is something they will appreciate.
- Adjustable length. One of the key benefits of using a retractable dog leash is that you can adjust the length of the lead as desired. In other words, you can choose to give your pooch more space to explore or to keep them close to you in places that you consider not safe for them to roam a bit farther.
- It is less likely to get twisted into knots. Does your furry friend always get their traditional leash tangled up? With a retractable leash, it is less likely to happen as you can retract the lead back into the casing, hence minimizing the chances of twisting and tangling.
- To give your dog adequate exercise. As you may have already known, dogs that don’t get enough exercise can lead to many problems. But there will be times that you are too tired and don’t have the energy to walk as far as your dog could, especially after work. A retractable leash can keep them running within the extendable range, and at the same time, allowing you to slack and rest a little bit.
- For recall training. While calling your dog’s name and getting them straight back to you is vital, a reliable emergency recall can take a while to train. And when they are farther away from you, the training can get very challenging without the right tool as there are too many distractions and rewards surrounding them. Yes, you certainly can buy multiple leashes with different lengths for different stages of training, but you can save all that hassles with a retractable dog leash.
- It is useful for owners with limited mobility. As you can imagine, pet parents with mobility issues will affect their dogs in some way. But thanks to retractable leashes, they can still allow their furkid to run around.
- Allow your dog to have a more comfortable potty. Some dogs may refuse to potty or choose to hold it up only because their owner is standing right next to them. As absurd as it may sound, some dogs would indeed love to have privacy when they need to do their business.
Best Retractable Dog Leash
With so many different retractable dog leashes on the market, it can be confusing as to which one is better. Below we have listed the features that you need to consider to help you pick what’s best for you.
1. Anti-Slip Handle
It is crucial to look for a retractable leash with a non-slip handle as your hand can get sweaty when you hold it for too long. With that, it ensures that you have a firm and comfortable grip even if it becomes wet.
2. Weight Limit
Next, pay attention to the weight limit. You will find some leads are designed for pooches less than 50 pounds only, while some can handle dogs up to 110 pounds. And of course, you would want a leash that can accommodate your dog’s weight to prevent them from breaking it when they run at full force.
Most retractable leashes on the market are 16 feet long, and that should be more than enough in most cases. However, if your four-legged friend would love to have even more freedom and you usually walk them in a wide-open space, then you may want to consider something longer like the Flexi Giant Leash.
4. Brake and Locking Mechanism
The best retractable dog leash should have a locking button that allows you to lock the length of the lead. If you have come across one that doesn’t, which is very unlikely, but if somehow you do, don’t even bother looking at it. Just think about it, having a retractable lead with no locking mechanism is pretty much like letting your pooch run off-leash, so what’s the point of it?
5. Reflective Materials
Also, you would probably want to consider retractable leashes with reflective materials so that you can see your furry friend easily to keep them safe. This is important, especially now that they can run farther away from you than they are allowed if kept on a conventional lead, and is even more crucial if you are going to walk them in a low-light situation. In other words, the Flexi Neon Leash, Flexi Giant Leash, and Fida Leash may be a better option.
for Walking Your Dog With a Retractable Dog Leash
- Lock the leash and keep your dog close to you in high-traffic areas.
If you are going to walk your four-legged friend in areas with high-traffic, make sure to lock the leash and keep them close to you for safety reasons.
- Don’t let your dog walk across the road themselves.
As much as you want to give your furry friend more freedom to wander around, safety always comes first, which means you should never let them walk across the road with you on the opposite side.
- Get rid of the slack.
Your pooch will probably end up wrapping you or themselves around if you leave too much slack, and that can pose a danger if your dog decides to charge forward.
- Keep your hands off the tape.
Never attempt to grab the tape and make sure to keep your fingers away from it as it can cause burns or severe cuts, particularly when your dog is running at high speed.
- Beware when taking the leash off your dog.
Ensure the lead is fully drawn back into the casing before taking it off your dog. Otherwise, the swivel clip will potentially hit your hands and cause bruises when the leash retracts.