As you know, dogs’ paws are the foundation of their body.
The pads provide them traction, and to protect them from rough terrains and the temperature beneath them.
This is why you should take good care of their feet to keep them strong and healthy.
One of the things that you can do is to keep their paws moisturized.
Below are the 10 best dog paw balms you can get in 2020.
1. Musher’s Secret Paw Wax
A very popular brand on the market when it comes to paw balm and is known to be the best solution for cold weather.
Made with 100% all-natural food-grade ingredients to help protect your dog’s paws from harsh terrains such as hot pavement, snow, and salt. Combined with vitamin E and beeswax to help soothe the pads.
In addition, Musher’s Secret is a fast-drying, non-allergenic, and non-staining balm.
Apply this 2 to 3 times a week and more frequently in winter. What is also great is that not only the pads you can use it on, but also on the snout, elbows, and ears.
2. Bohdi Dog Organic Paw Balm
This excellent paw balm has won the 2020 Family Choice Awards, so you can rest assured with its quality.
It offers a safe and effective way to moisturize and protect your dog’s paws thanks to the premium grade certified organic ingredients used.
Bohdi Dog is made with an all-plant based blend and doesn’t contain alcohol or any other harsh chemicals such as parabens, sulfates, and artificial dyes. What that also means is that the balm is safe to be licked, making it a great option if your dog is a licker, and is also perfect for dogs who suffer from sensitive skin and allergies.
3. Paw Nectar Organic and Natural Paw Wax
This paw wax uses 100% organic and all-natural ingredients such as certified organic coconut oils, shea butter, as well as other nourishing properties. It offers great protection for paw pads from snow, hot pavement, wet sidewalks, and dry indoor heat. Ideal for all year round use.
With its fast-acting and lasting formulation, it can penetrate deeply into the problem areas and help to heal the pads if they are damaged or cracked. If you are looking to prevent or cure dry paws, you may want to consider the Paw Nectar.
4. Pawstruck Organic Nose & Paw Balm
Pawstruck is a specially formulated natural salve and hypoallergenic cream that is very effective when it comes to restoring dry, chapped, and itchy skin. It contains 100% natural ingredients and is made in the U.S.A. to ensure safety and the highest quality possible.
You also notice its packaging has a USDA certified organic seal, meaning it is safe if licked and is free of harsh chemicals. For this reason, this paw balm can be applied to many different parts of your dog such as nose, paws, wrinkles, or any other areas that need to be moisturized.
5. 4Legger Certified Organic Nose & Paw Pad Healing Balm
As you can see on its packaging, this is another USDA organic certified product. This is a 100% natural, fast, and effective healing cream that offers soothing relief from dry, itchy, and bleeding pads.
Not only that, but it also provides all seasons paw protection from snow to hot pavements.
4Legger is non-toxic and packed with moisturizing vitamins and emollients such as shea butter, hemp oil, and calendula.
Additionally, it is unscented, which means it is also great for dogs who have a sensitive nose.
6. Natural Dog Company Paw Soother
This is a veterinarian-recommended paw soother that provides your dog a gentle, holistic, and effective treatment.
It is made with all-natural ingredients, which can help to protect the pads from getting too dry and crack in harsh summer and winter weather, as well as to cure chapped and peeling paws.
Apart from that, Natural Dog can also be used to treat hyperkeratosis, a skin condition that has excess keratin buildup and can cause pain while your dog walks. Suitable for healing dry paws, or dogs who have paw allergy symptoms due to the weather conditions.
7. Baely's Paw Shield Dog Paw Balm
Another trusted brand when it comes to dog paw balm. It is made with all-natural and nutrient-rich ingredients to promote quick healing of damaged paws.
Additionally, it contains beeswax that acts as a shield to encapsulate your dog’s paws in extreme weather conditions while allowing its nourishing properties to heal the pads.
Also, Baely’s Paw Shield is harmless if licked. This is a great option to help keep your dog’s paws hydrated in summer and winter. Though it is not the cheapest, you get high quality and effective paw balm that is made in the U.S.A.
8. ResQ Organics Skin Treatment & Healing Balm for Dogs
Just like its name indicates, this is a skin treatment and healing balm.
Made with natural and organic ingredients such as cehami and manuka honey, which contain lots of powerful healing properties that are antibacterial, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory. Making it one of the best balms to rejuvenate dog’s dry paws and other skin issues.
ResQ Organics doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals and uses a non-greasy formula for speedy healing. Ideal for treating insect bites, abrasions, itchy skin, wounds, burns, cracked paw pads, and can even help with hair growth.
9. VetPro Complete Natural Vet Formulated Paw and Nose Balm
This balm is formulated by Dr.Joseph, a veterinarian that has more than 30 years of experience. Its unique formula will create a layer to encapsulate your dog’s paws, hence protect them from the sun, salt, and hot surfaces.
Not to mention it is hypoallergenic, non-toxic, and made with 100% natural ingredients, which means this balm is safe for dogs.
Also, the VetPro Complete is designed to relieve and repair cracked pads, as well as an extremely dry nose. Plus the vitamin E and aloe vera, it can keep your dog’s paws hydrated all day.
It is made here in the U.S.A., doesn’t contain harsh chemicals, and is Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) certified, meaning the balms are produced and controlled to quality standards.
10. Pet Head Oatmeal Natural Paw Butter
This paw butter uses a wholesome and eco-friendly formula, designed to comfort dry and scratchy pads. It is made with gentle and soothing ingredients such as shea butter, vitamins E and F, oatmeal, mango, coconut oil, olive oil, and aloe vera.
Additionally, the Pet Head is pH balanced and free of harmful chemicals like parabens, sulfates, and cocamide DEA. It is also oatmeal scented, which can keep your dog’s feet fresh and sweet-smelling.
Why Use a Dog Paw Balm?
- To prevent the paws from getting uncomfortably dry. Dog’s paws are just like our feet, they can become dry, itchy, and chapped in harsh weather. And I’m sure you can imagine how uncomfortable that will be. The balms are formulated with nourishing ingredients to keep your dog’s paws hydrated so that the pads won’t get to the point where they will crack and bleed.
- To protect the paws from the element and harmful substances. Paw balms are also designed to protect your dog’s feet from hot and cold surfaces in summer and winter, as well as the road salts, which are toxic and can be very dangerous if they lick it off their paws after the walk. This is why people also get their dogs to wear boots to keep the pads safe from these hazards.
- To heal wounds and treat the common skin condition. The paws balms can also be used to cure wounds, and manage a common skin condition called hyperkeratosis, also known as hairy paws. What happens is that it will produce excessive keratin which causes the pads and nose to thicken, crack, bleed, and eventually lead to infections. When it comes to treating this condition, non-wax paw balm is a better option.
How do I Choose the Best Dog Paw Balm?
While there are many different types of paw moisturizers and all are to offer protection and keep your dog’s feet hydrated, you need to understand the difference between a paw balm and a paw wax to maximize its effect.
1. Paw Balm vs Paw Wax
- Paw Balm. These products usually contain natural ingredients, formulated with rich emollients to help relieve and prevent the pads from cracking and peeling. They are also a better option for healing damaged pads. That said, you can also find some balms combined with beeswax like the Baely’s Paw Shield to offer pads protection.
- Paw Wax. These products, on the other hand, will create a protective layer when applied to the pads. Though they also contain soothing ingredients, they are more suitable for protecting the paws from hot and cold surfaces, and any other harsh irritants, especially in winter.
Know the purpose of you buying the moisturizer, and pick what is best suited to your dog’s needs. For instance, if you need to protect your dog’s feet from those harmful irritants, then you would want to choose a paw wax like the Musher’s Secret.
If your dog is a licker, it may be a good idea to pick paw balms that are made with natural and organic ingredients to ensure safety, which most paw balms are.
But it will be better if the product has a USDA certified organic seal on its packaging such as the Bohdi Dog, Pawstruck, and 4Legger. That way, you know that the balms are perfectly safe to be licked.
Tips to Prevent Your Dog From Licking the Balm
While you know some of the paw balms are safe to be licked, you would still want to prevent your dog from doing that, ultimately allowing the balm to maximize its effect.
And below are some of the tips.
- Wash your dog’s feet when they are back from outside to remove the dirt and other irritants. And the best and easiest way is to use a dog paw cleaner.
- After you apply the paw balm, try to distract your dog using their favorite treats.
- Or what you can also do is, get your dog to wear baby socks until the balm is fully absorbed.
- Otherwise, only apply the balm when they are tired.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Dogs Need Paw Balm?
Absolutely. If your dog’s paw pads get too dry, it will crack and potentially lead to infections. Also, their paws are more prone to cracking in summer and winter. So, applying paw balm is a must to keep their feet healthy.
Can I Use Vaseline on My Dogs Dry Paws?
Keep in mind that Vaseline is not intended to be used for dogs, and you don’t want to put your dog at risk. Though Vaseline is non-toxic, it may contain ingredients like the petroleum jelly, which can upset their tummies if licked and ingested.