Does your furry friend always chew up everything in the house?
If so, then you will need the best chew proof dog blanket.
Not only can it keep your canine snuggly and warm, but it is also tough enough to stop your chew-tastic pup from shredding and tearing it apart.
Plus, you can also use the throw to drape over things like couches, chairs, end of beds, and car seats to protect them from dirt, pee, hair, and scratches!
Here, we’ve listed the 5 top-rated heavy-duty dog blankets for ballistic chewers you can buy today!
|PetAmi Waterproof Dog Blanket|| 50" x 40" |
60" x 40"
80" x 55"
|PetFusion Premium Pet Blanket|| (S) 31" x 27" |
(M) 44" x 34"
(L) 53" x 41"
(XL) 60" x 48"
|Allisandro Premium Fuzzy Fleece Pet Dog Blanket|| 31" x 24" |
39" x 31"
64" x 40"
80" x 64"
|Pawsse Large Dog Blanket||60" x 50"||Check Here|
|West Paw Big Sky Dog Blanket|| (S) 27" x 21" |
(M) 56" x 38"
(L) 73" x 56"
List of Best Dog Blankets for Chewers
Top Picks for Tough Dog Blankets
1. PetAmi Waterproof Dog Blanket
Waterproof dog bed cover for large dogs and puppies
The PetAmi Waterproof Dog Blanket is one of the top-rated chew-proof dog blankets on the market. It is durable, made of premium quality microfiber polyester to keep the bed and furniture safe from your dog’s nails and teeth, yet it is comfortable enough to rest on thanks to the thick, soft plush fabric and sherpa lining used for construction.
This dog blanket is also waterproof, which means you don’t have to worry about liquids or urine seeping through and damage your furniture. Plus, it is lightweight, machine washable, and dryer-friendly on a low heat setting, making it so much easier for you. Great for sofa, bed, dog crates, and can also be used as a car blanket.
2. PetFusion Premium Pet Blanket
A thin, super-soft, yet tough reversible micro plush dog blanket
Want an ultra-soft, cozy, and heavy-duty blanket? Then, you may want to consider the PetFusion Premium Blanket.
It is very comfortable for your canine to sleep on, made of 100% polyester microfiber plush with pill-resistant dense fibers, ensuring that it will still maintain its quality and won’t lose its fuzziness after washing. Not to mention, it is reversible, meaning you can flip it to the clean side without having to wash it when one side gets dirty.
This throw is also machine washable, suitable for dog crates, couch, car, and floor. An excellent option that allows your dog to rest comfortably, and at the same time, protect your furniture from chewing, clawing, scratching, and unwanted pet hair.
3. Allisandro Premium Fuzzy Fleece Pet Dog Blanket
Double-sided fluffy dog throw blanket
The Allisandro Premium Fuzzy Fleece Pet Dog Blanket is another soft and cozy dog blanket that can make your pooch’s sleeping corner more comfortable.
It features the high-quality double-sided flannel fleece to keep your dog warm and comfy all seasons, as well as to shield your expensive furniture from chewing, clawing, and scratching.
This blanket is durable, machine washable, and is resistant to pilling and shedding. And apart from using it as a warm blanket, you can use it to dry your dog after bath thanks to its good water-absorbing ability.
4. Pawsse Large Dog Blanket
Sherpa fleece dog couch protector that insulates heat well
This Pawsse Large Dog Blanket features a reversible design for two different textures, with plush micro fleece on one side and sherpa lining on the other.
It is ultra fluffy, made of super soft material to make it a more comfortable place for your furkid to snuggle into and sleep. Not only that, but it can also help to protect your furniture from scratches and pet hair.
Additionally, this dog blanket measures 60 by 50 inches. Suitable for indoor and outdoor use, and can also work as a car seat cover to keep your car clean from dirt.
5. West Paw Big Sky Dog Blanket
Faux suede/ silky soft fleece pet throw blanket
Prefer a higher-end dog blanket? Check out the West Paw Big Sky Dog Blanket.
It has a rugged faux suede on one side, combined with a silky soft fabric on the other for your dog’s comfort. We also like that it is Oeko-Tex certified, meaning it is free from harmful substances, allowing your furry friend to rest on it safely and comfortably.
Additionally, this heavy-duty dog blanket is machine washable and dryer safe and comes in a wide variety of colors.
Why Do Dogs Chew Blankets?
Wonder why does your dog chew on their blanket? Below are some of the reasons.
- Hunger. Studies have found that dogs can benefit from restricting calories. And as a result, many canines are on a reduced-calorie diet, which causes them to chew and destroy their blanket in an attempt to find additional nutrition sources, especially when they are hungry.
- Separation anxiety and frustration. Another reason that causes dogs to chew on their blanket is separation anxiety. When your pup is left alone, they will tend to chew things to help relieve their stress. Also, frustrated dogs will chew on things as that’s one of the ways of how they express their frustration.
- Teething. Just like humans, dogs will lose their baby teeth at some stage and experience pain as their new teeth start to emerge through the gum. That’s why they will chew on their blanket, as that can help alleviate the discomfort in their jaw.
- Boredom. A bored dog will find ways to stimulate their mind and body. One thing that they will do is to chew things! Bored dogs will also shred pillows, dig in the backyard, or even unroll your toilet paper to make their own fun.
- Fabric sucking. One other possible reason that dogs chew on their blanket is that they are performing fabric sucking. Dogs who are fabric suckers may compulsively lick, chew on, and suck at fabric.
How to Stop Your Dog From Chewing Blankets
While your furkid may be obsessed over chewing their blanket, there are some approaches that you can take to stop that destructive behavior. Here are some of them.
- Physical and mental stimulation. Without any doubt, dogs require daily walks. Giving your pup plenty of physical exercise and mental stimulation is especially important if they have bad chewing habits due to boredom, anxiety, and agitation. Not only can exercising them help relieve their stress, but that can also tire them out, and as a result, keeping their mind off rippling those blankets to shreds.
- Chew toys. Another way to stop your dog’s gnawing problem is to teach them to chew the right object. And that essentially means you will have to supervise them so that when you catch them chewing on their blanket, you can make a loud noise to interrupt that undesirable behavior, then offer them a safe chew toy.
- Chew deterrent. Otherwise, you can also use a chewing deterrent spray to discourage inappropriate chewing. These products won’t harm your fido, but instead, they have a bitter taste that will make chewing the blanket less appealing to your furry friend.
Why Should You Buy Chew-Proof Dog Blankets?
- Keep your dog warm.
The most apparent reason for buying a dog blanket is that it can keep your four-legged friend warm. It ensures that they can sleep better in the colder months, especially if you have breeds who are more sensitive to cold weather, such as Greyhound, Chihuahua, and Great Dane.
- Give your dog a sense of security.
Many people sleep better with a blanket even when it is hot, and the reason is simple, we feel safer when sleeping under it. The same goes for dogs. A chew proof dog blanket offers their body the necessary sense of security to sleep.
- Protect your furniture.
You surely don’t want your fido to scratch or bite on your couches, chairs, tables, and other furniture. And that’s when a chew proof dog blanket can come in handy as you can use it as a protective covering to keep claw and chew marks away.
- Provide your dog a more comfortable place to sleep when traveling.
If you travel with your canine by car or plane a lot, you can put a chew proof dog blanket inside their crate or airline-approved carrier, making it a cozy place for them to curl up and sleep.
- Keep the sleeping area clean.
After a few hours of being outdoors, there may be dirt and mud trapped in your dog’s hair. Imagine the first thing they do when they come back is to jump into your bed, and that jump will create lots of cleaning for you to do, particularly if you have a dog door installed that allows them to go outside of the house anytime they want. You can certainly place a doormat next to the entryway to wipe the mud off their paws, but having a chew proof dog blanket can provide even more protection.
- They are more durable.
Also, chew-proof blankets are more durable than regular dog blankets, typically made of tough, sturdy, and strong materials to ensure that they have a better chance to stand up to your furkid’s dental damage.
Are Those Dog Blankets Really
To be quite frankly, none of the dog blankets are 100% chew-proof, and there is no way you can find one that is indestructible on the market. As much as you want it to be chew-proof, it is simply impossible to produce that type of product. A dog blanket needs to be able to provide warmth and comfort at the end of the day, so it has to be soft, which also means dogs can still chew through it if they are determined enough.
So, why are they still being called chew-proof blankets then?
Well, the reason is that they are more durable and resistant to chewing as opposed to many others on the market, meaning they are more likely to be able to survive your dog’s biting force. You will also find some are super thin, which the purpose is to make it less tempting for your pup to chew, while there are also super soft and comfortable blankets that they will be very protective of and treasure.
Chew Proof Dog Blanket
Buyer’s Guide: What to Look For
Though it may seem simple when it comes to picking a chew proof dog blanket for your four-legged friend, there are a few features you need to consider, and below are some of them.
The first thing that you need to pay attention to is the size of the blanket. You would want to make sure that it is large enough to accommodate your dog’s crate or kennel to ensure that your pup can rest on it comfortably.
2. Material and Thickness
If you also plan to cover your canine’s body with the blanket to keep them warm during the colder months, select the ones that are thicker or made with fleece or real sheep’s wool, like the Pawsse Large Dog Blanket, as fleece and lamb’s wool are an excellent insulator. Otherwise, you may want to go for the ones made of polyester microfiber as they are more durable.
While a well-trained dog should know where to do their business, there will be accidental elimination. So, it may be a good idea to consider waterproof blankets like the PetAmi Waterproof Dog Blanket to protect the floor from urine and spills.
4. Ease of Cleaning
It is also crucial that the heavy-duty dog blanket is easy to care for as it can get dirty very quickly, especially if your pup loves spending time outdoors. Fortunately, most dog blankets in the above are machine washable. And some are also dryer safe, such as the PetAmi Waterproof Dog Blanket and West Paw Big Sky Dog Blanket, which is a bonus as you don’t have to air dry them.
5. Design and Color
Though the blanket’s design and the color won’t affect your dog’s comfort, getting the one that matches your home decor will make your house look cleaner, tidier, hence keeping yourself in a good mood at all times.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why does my dog chew on their blanket?
How do I stop my dog from chewing their blanket?
Can I cover my dog with a blanket?
Yes, you can cover your dog with a blanket. As mentioned earlier, a dog blanket can keep your furry friend warm and comfortable on chilly nights and can provide them a sense of security, hence sleep better.